The good Rich Baiocco (http://shwardo.tumblr.com/) made a trip to the farm this week (East coast to San Fran drive). At some point during a wild pasta feast he taught me the proper Ital way to drink Carlo Rossi.
1) Must be burgundy. Don’t fuck with the red rose.
2) Big jug okay.
3) Small glass.
4) One ice cube.
And it works. New Hard 50 Farm tradition.
Before Rich split (en route to Denver then California) we:
1) Took a drive west past Lawrence to Perry Lake and did some swimming and beer drinking. (Hundred degree day.)
2) Celebrated the recent publishing world success of Jessie Duke (news forthcoming).
3) And made the following trade: one Thai dinner in town for:
1) Old copy of Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying I bought last year for a buck.
2) The beat-up (beloved) hardcover of Miller’s Black Spring I’ve had forever.
3) A copy of the manuscript of my new book Youth Is A Wolf Dark and Golden.
I wanted him to read the beast because I value his opinion and because sometimes the best thing you can give a friend is the best thing you have. Keep an eye on that guy Rich; he’s going to write a book one day that’ll bowl you over.